Friday, January 06, 2006

aussiebiz
07:21
To:
leetahsar
663 of 666

83628.663 in reply to 83628.654
During the first couple of years after I moved here, I visited Sg. few times a year, to tie up loose ends and clear up some unfinished work.
In early 2005, after about 8 years absence, I visited Sg. with my family . One would not have realise how Sg. had transformed into even a more beautiful city if one had not been out of the country for a number of years. I was disappointed though when I went looking for Blanco Court. Yah I was looking forward to enjoy the world's best 'kueh chap'. There was no Blanco Court but a shining brand new building in its place call Raffles Hospital.
While in Sg. I spent many days with my family, revisiting many of the places which I did not 'have time' to do previously. Weird isn't it? No time to do that when I was staying in Sg. and now got time to do it when no more staying in Sg. I shall tell you few places which I visited that were close to the former BANSIEWSAN kampong. Tanjong Belayer was once my preferred get away-from-it-all if I needed a wind down after some very stressed up days. The feeling on this visit to Tanjong Belayer beach was completely different from the last I made in the early 80's. My mind and body was loosten up and I feasted my eyes on the beautiful scenery across the sea, and a stroll along the few 100 meters beach front was refreshing. There were vast improvements and some new facilities added to this place since I last visited. The visit to the hill top along South Bouna Vista Road was memories reminiscent of my NS (CivilDefence) days. I did some CD training at the camp on top of the hill. An old army tank was part of the display when I went there. Part of my NS (CD) training involved a hike and road march from the camp and all the way up to Mt.Faber. Next was a drive to the other part of Mt.Faber (Mt.Washington). I was invited to Alkaff Mansion for lunch and dinner on a few occasions in the late 80's. The building was so grand looking after it was painstakingly restored. This time around I was greeted by a sorrowful sight when I visited the Alkaff Mansion. It was now a dilapidated building ... so sad!
PicturesMy son Matthew (left) and his cousin Sebastian (right)picture taken during CNY 2005 (see both wearing red?) at Tanjong Belayer
http://img365.imageshack.us/my.php?image=matthewsabbyfeb054kf.jpg
Matthew - CNY 2005 - taken on the hill top along South Bouna Vista Rd with PSA port in the background.
http://img365.imageshack.us/my.php?image=matthewfeb056oy.jpg

From:
leetahsar
07:48
To:
aussiebiz
664 of 666

83628.664 in reply to 83628.663

alkaff mansion really deserved to close shop...the food they sell there was so so expensive like nobody's business...so really in the end...no body business. so closed lor.
sad, u r like looking at a haunted building like that...and the gov like din do anything...i never been up there since i lost my trusty pickup. dunno whether anything's done yet or not...
i used to go to one corner at beo cresent coffeeshop. they sell one of the best hainanese teh si i ever drunk. there is a malay nasi padang stall. i would packet the rice with beef rendang, 1 tempei, veggie, and lodeh with tofu. then packet a teh si which was served in a styrofoam cup....and off i drove to mt washington or now called telok blangah hills...later maybe after the passing of lau lee, it may rename again to lee kuan hill...just kidding..
when i reached there, the rice would have soaked up all the curries and gravies...and it was a real out of this world nasi padang. after makan, this piggy would nap there for hours before heading off to tend customers' gardens maintained and designed by me.
such was a relaxing no body business life for me...until the bulldozer came and my trusty pickup demise...and everything darken around me...so i quit for good and go into recluse. into the spiritual world of chanting and reading sutras...to prepare for my next life journey...which frankly i hope won't happen this life...i really want to siam...and i dunno whether can siam or not...like if i reach the monkhood...i would definitely have total tranquility....but i dunno. too many things i love and hate to be detached from. i only sense what's going to happen to me.
weird but after retiring, my mind is clear as crystal with no more stressful distraction...and it's kind of develop uncanny "6th senses" or like they said, the opening of the 3rd eye...i could sense things forthcoming....i will now tell about one of my real weird happening....

No comments: